Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Critique of the Editor

I have learned one thing in my writing life: don't ask for criticism unless you are willing to get it. The second caveat is "don't ask for criticism from close friends or family."

Well, you could find a professional "Book Doctor." But for me, it is not an option at this point in development. Once I'm to the point when I am ready to start shopping my book or story around to publishers, I might consider this option. So, what am I looking for in someone I trust with my manuscript to look at with a critical eye?

First of all, I am looking for someone who realizes this is my manuscript, not his/hers. I am looking for someone who will look at my story or poem and make "suggestions." I look for criticism that couches the critique in terms like, "what would happen if..." or "I am not sure what you are trying to say here." The critic is, first of all, owning his/her criticism. S/he is not telling me what I should do. S/he is looking at the entire poem or manuscript with an eye for clarity. After all, I am trying to communicate with my reader and want to know if that communication is successful.

The next thing I am looking for is someone who recognizes both my strengths and weaknesses. I learn not only from what needs to be improved but also from what I do well. By couching criticism in these terms, the critic lets me know what is working and how I can use this success in other places. Besides, all negative comments tends to shut me down. No, I don't want all pats on the head. That is as bad as all negative. I learn nothing from this, either.

I also want someone who is capable of commenting on my craft...how I handle character, place, setting, structure, etc.

My next problem is where to find such a critic. For those of us in larger communities we can generally find a writer's group. But what if you are in the middle of Alaska or on top of a mountain in Colorado? Well, if you are reading this online, you have a computer connection. Use that computer. There are all kinds of groups all over the Internet. Go ahead and subscribe to a few. Watch the critiques that appear in the posts. If that is the kind of criticism you are looking for, post something you would like to have looked at critically. Give it more than one or two tries. Keep in mind, if you don't get the kind of feedback from one group, you can find a hundred others. Ask others where they have found good critics for their works. Don't give up.

Finally, when you have your manuscript to the point you are ready to start shopping it around, now it is time to hire a good editor. This can save you months of time and disappointment. I can guarantee that editors will automatically toss out that manuscript that is poorly written and presented. Yes, spelling and grammar do count. If I have to spend hours as an editor making high school type corrections to a manuscript, I am very unlikely to spend the time needed to do that. If the story has more holes than swiss cheese, I will reject it out of hand. This is what the final edits by either a Book Doctor and/or editor are for. Get that manuscript in pristine condition to impress the editor, who will then impress the publisher, who will then sign a contract (hopefully) with you.




Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Shannon Evans said...

A writing coach or book doctor is critical for giving your work the extra polish it deserves! Face it, if you are serious about your work and think it is worthy of presenting to the world at large, the work is not "done" until it has been carefully reviewed.
Your illustration of this very idea is so well put! Great work!
Shannon Evans
My Writing Mentor, LLC
www.mywritingmentor.com