Monday, September 17, 2007

Point of View

Whether you are writing fiction, non-fiction, or poetry, sometimes finding the right point of view is hard. If you find yourself in this situation, try telling the story from different POV. Not only can you change people, you can change age. If you are telling your own story and are having trouble getting it out, tell the story from the child or whatever age you were at the time.

I was having trouble getting a handle on my grandmother. She was there, she was supportive. But as an adult I just cannot write about her without cliche. As a child I can write about her with the sincerity only a child can have. Also, when I change that story from past tense to present tense it takes on a whole new vitality. Now, as an 8 year old child I can tell the story I remember of grandma.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: